*Editor’s note: This information was published in the December 2023 issue of Heartfelt Magazine, CHM’s monthly magazine that provides CHM membership-related tips and tricks, testimonies from CHM members, and more. Please refer to the CHM Guidelines and applicable web pages for the most up-to-date information regarding CHM membership, sharing eligibility, and ministry news.*
It’s easy to let healthy eating habits slip over the holidays, especially when it comes to those delicious, sugary desserts. This Christmas, consider trying this healthy dessert option.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil,
melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can substitute with honey)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a greased 8×4 loaf pan.
- In a bowl, mix molasses, maple syrup, applesauce, egg, almond milk, and coconut oil until smooth.
- Add in whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into greased 8×4 loaf pan. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until baked all the way through.
- Allow the bread to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Store in refrigerator to maintain freshness.