Editor’s note: This information was published in the December 2018 issue of Heartfelt Magazine, CHM’s monthly magazine that provides CHM membership-related tips and tricks, medical advice from doctors, testimonies from CHM members, and more. Please refer to the CHM Guidelines and applicable web pages for the most up-to-date information regarding CHM membership, sharing eligibility, and ministry news.
Many CHM members are aware that our website enables visitors to learn more about our programs, join CHM and upload medical bills. However, there are some other valuable “gems” to find if you know where to dig.
Here are five useful tools you may not have heard of before:
1. Healthcare provider and services directory
Though CHM doesn’t have a preferred provider network with pre-negotiated rates, this helpful resource is a good starting point for locating a healthcare provider or health service.
Search the directory by zip code for local providers such as general practitioners and OB/GYNs or other specialists. You can also view national and regional health services such as medical transportation companies, lab and medical imaging companies, prescription discount programs and services, etc.
There are even links to other searchable provider directories and health resources such as medical price comparison tools.
To be clear, CHM’s directory is comprised of providers and services that members have recommended and of providers who have contacted the ministry expressing an interest in serving and treating members. It is not any of the following:
- a directory made up solely of Christian providers;
- a list of providers who only accept self-pay patients; or
- a directory of providers who only offer treatment or services that fall within the CHM Guidelines for sharing
2. How to submit medical bills video
This seven-minute video is a step-by-step and easy-to-follow explanation of the most important things to know when you have medical bills to send to the ministry. You’ll learn the difference between a medical bill and an itemized medical bill (which CHM requires), what forms to send to CHM, when and how to submit paperwork and what happens to your bills after they arrive at the ministry offices.
3. CHM’s maternity guide
The guide’s first part explains which maternity charges are eligible for sharing and which are ineligible. The second part contains instructions for what to do whether you plan to use an OB/GYN’s or midwife’s services and whether you choose to give birth at a hospital, birthing center or at home.
The maternity guide is a PDF file that can be quickly and easily downloaded to your computer, smartphone or tablet.
4. Medical bill log
Accessed through CHM’s online Member Portal, the medical bill log enables you to track all your medical bills and expenses—which can be particularly handy when you have many bills or a number of healthcare providers.
The log is simply a spreadsheet on which you can note when you received each bill; when you sent them to CHM; whether you received a discount; what payments you’ve made to providers; etc.
Though the example given is a maternity incident, please note you can use the medical bill log for any type of health situation.
5. The Bring-a-Friend online referral system
Available by logging in to your Member Portal account, the Bring-a-Friend online referral system is a convenient way to tell friends about CHM and automate the referral credit you can receive.
The tool is found by clicking “Bring-a-Friend” in the portal’s main menu. From there you have two options:
- Enter a friend’s name and email address. Your friend will receive an email from us saying “[Your name] thought you might be interested in Christian Healthcare Ministries.” The email will also contain a link that, if clicked, leads your friend to a CHM application in which you have been named as the sponsoring member. If your friend completes the application to join using this link—or even does so later using the same device—you’ll automatically receive a free month of membership after your friend has sent three monthly financial gifts to CHM.
- Your Member Portal account also contains a link unique to your membership. If you have a website or blog through which you’d like to refer Christian friends and family to join CHM, simply include the link in your website’s code.
For example, in your blog you can write a brief explanation of the ministry and why you recommend that people join. Create a button underneath that says something like “Join CHM now.” Similar to #1 above, visitors can click the button—which you programmed with your unique link—and be taken to a CHM application page with your name and member number appearing automatically in the sponsor section. In this way you can also earn a free month of CHM membership for each new joiner who has sent the ministry their third monthly financial gift.