*Editor’s note: This information was published in the March 2021 issue of Heartfelt Magazine, CHM’s monthly magazine that provides CHM membership-related tips and tricks, medical advice from doctors, testimonies from CHM members, and more. Please refer to the CHM Guidelines and applicable web pages for the most up-to-date information regarding CHM membership, sharing eligibility, and ministry news.*
By Dr. Michael Jacobson, D.O., M.P.H., CHM Medical Director
- 3 1/2 cups flour (for a healthier option, use half whole wheat flour and half white flour)
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed (you may try using less)
- 2 pounds butter, melted (you may try using less)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 -2 pounds chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place dates into a pan on the stovetop.
- Cover with 1 cup water.
- Bring to boil, then lower heat and stir until thickened.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine and mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add melted butter and stir to combine.
- Crumble, spread, and press a little more than half of this mixture across the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Spread date filling evenly over the oatmeal mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal crumb mix on top to cover the dates.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes, or until just golden brown.
Do you have a favorite healthy recipe? We’d like to share it! CHM members may submit their recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration in future magazine issues.