By Dr. Michael Jacobson, D.O.
*Editor’s note: This information was published in the January 2021 issue of Heartfelt Magazine, CHM’s monthly magazine that provides CHM membership-related tips and tricks, medical advice from doctors, testimonies from CHM members, and more. Please refer to the CHM Guidelines and applicable web pages for the most up-to-date information regarding CHM membership, sharing eligibility, and ministry news.*
“These all wait for You, that You may give them their food in due season…You open Your hand, they are filled with good. You hide Your face, they are troubled; You take away their breath, they die and return to the dust.”
–Psalm 104:27-29 (NKJV)
The Bible says we were made by the Creator—a spiritual being. The Bible tells us from whence we came; who we are; why we get sick, suffer and die; and how we can live forever. The foundation for our understanding of health, disease, death and healing begins in Genesis, the “Book of Beginnings.” Here, we learn several critical things about ourselves.
- Life comes from the Creator, who is the only true God (Genesis 1 and 2).
- Man was created in His image, yet inferior (Genesis 1:27, 2:7).
- Man was created perfect (“very good”) and immortal (Genesis 1:31, 2:17).
- God and man have an adversary who opposes them (Genesis 3:1).
- Man sinned: He listened to Satan’s lie and violated God’s command to not eat of the forbidden tree (Genesis 3:1).
- Death (and disease) entered the world as a result (Romans 5:12, 6:23).
Nevertheless, God's promises link obedience to good health and a relatively long life (Exodus 15:26 and Proverbs 3:1). Here are a few examples:
- The fifth commandment promises long life to those who honor their parents (Exodus 20:12). This is repeated to New Testament Gentile believers in Ephesians 6:1-3.
- Honesty in business can extend your life (Deuteronomy 25:14-15).
- Watching what we say can also prolong life (Psalm 34:12-13).
- In Proverbs, Solomon repeatedly linked long life with the need to listen to wisdom (Proverbs 4:10, 3:13-22).
- Solomon linked the fear of God to health and life (Proverbs 3:7-8).
- Keeping our hearts merry and contented can have a dramatically positive effect on our health (Proverbs 14:30, 16:24, 17:22).
Does spiritual health have any connection to physical health? Absolutely!